Thursday, July 12, 2007

Amazed by the new 'Web'

I've become a bit of a Google fan-boy these days...

Just recently, I configured my work email to be accessible via Gmail and having used that web client for a while, along with this 'Blogger' system, I must say... we've come a long way. It is truly amazing how the Web has been transformed.

I mean, a lot of people don't seem to have any appreciation as to just how far we've come with regards to website interactivity in general... this being especially true for those who are relatively new to the online experience.... after all, this is all they know. But, things have truly come a long way.

My boss and I have been having a continuous argument about the future of software development. "The world of desktop applications is dead - everything will soon be on the Web, " he claims. When I first heard him say it, I thought it was a blanket statement that couldn't possibly be true. After all, we all know that the Web, despite the attractiveness of accessibility from any machine, is still a slow and clunky experience in comparison to desktop software. Yes, there is an abundance of uses for web applications, especially in the corporate world, but there are still many things that can't be done effectively on the web. Or so I thought...

I can see his point of view much better now, having spent some time using Gmail and Google Reader.... Gmail, in particular. And I must say... I am impressed. In fact, I dare say that, in comparison to a desktop email client like Thunderbird, I actually prefer the Gmail experience. What I've realised is that this new Web (the Web 2.0, as they call it) is changing the game. It's not so much that Web software moving closer to desktop software in terms of functionality... it's that Web software is actually changing the whole UI metaphor... and it's for the better.

Don't get me wrong... I love desktop software. But I find myself being drawn to Web software more and more. And it's not like my driving reason is because of the mobility - for the last 8 or 9 months, I've been using a single laptop for work and at home almost exclusively. However, the interactivity.... in particular, the difference in interactivity... dare I say, the improvement in interactivity of Web software vs. desktop software is truly drawing me in.

As I said.... we've come a long way....

No comments: